The official foundation of the Academy of Fine Arts of Carrara dates back to September 26, 1769.
It was patroness Maria Teresa Cybo-Malaspina, Duchess of Massa and Princess of Carrara, wife of Ercole Rinaldo d’Este, duke of Modena.
A few years earlier, was already the idea to found an academy, accepting the proposal of Giovanni Domenico Olivieri, a sculptor who had lived at the court of Philip V of Spain and collaborated in the foundation of the Madrid Academy.
Maria Teresa, Austro-Hungaric Empress, had promulgated the statutes of an institute in Carrara as early as April 1757, which included the teaching of three arts: painting, sculpture and architecture.
The famous sculptor Lio Gangeri was there professor and director.