The Cathedral of the Madonna della Bruna and Sant’Eustachio is the main Catholic place of worship in Matera. The structure was built in the Apulian Romanesque style in the XIII century on the highest spur of the Civitathat divides the two Sassi.
To make sure that the new temple dominated with its bulk the surrounding buildings and the two underlying valleys of the Sassi, it was necessary to raise the rocky base of more than six meters. Completed in 1270, the new cathedral was originally dedicated to Santa Maria of Matera, as evidenced by a notarial deed of the time. Subsequently in a testament of 1318 it appears entitled to Santa Maria dell’Episcopio and from 1389, the year in which Pope Urban VI (formerly archbishop of Matera) established the feast of the Visitation, was dedicated to Santa Maria della Bruna, also protector of the city.
The guided visit to the Cathedral of the Madonna della Bruna and Sant’Eustachio is included into the “Living in Matera among caves, residences, villages and traditions“.