The village of Rosignano was grafted onto a stone, on which stands a 12th century castle. surrounded by the oldest houses; it is a very vast territory, almost that of a county, being able to count a warp of 70 km of roads between hills and vineyards that reach villages and hamlets in a very varied territory.
Although its oldest origin is certain, some imperial diplomas mention it only in the year 1000. Around 1250 CE, the birth of the free Commune, since then governed by its own laws and Statutes, has been ascertained. The history of Rosignano is a mirror of the history of Monferrato; made of glorious and stormy events, due to the position of the country, located 10 km south of the capital of Monferrato and therefore called the “sentinel of Casale”, many times looted. Clamorous exception that of April 21, 1640, during the “Italian phase” of the Thirty Years’ War. On that day, the Spanish troops who were besieging Casale Monferrato and the surrounding territory, attempted a sortie against the fortress of Rosignano. Although in strong numerical inferiority, the Rosignanesi resisted the assault, it is said because pushed by religious fury due to an apparition of the Madonna, and since then celebrate on this day the feast of Our Lady of the Assault, come to the 378th evocation this year.
In front of the Civic Tower climbs the path that leads to the ancient Castle of Rosignano, located at the top of the fortress; the castle was the seat of the Savoia military garrison during the Monferrato succession wars (and the Duchy of Mantua, 1628-30) and during the Franco-Spanish struggles in Italy (1635-48). The structure has undergone several extensions and alterations over time. The central nucleus built directly in the tuff dates to the XVI century. From here you can enjoy an exceptional view of the Alps and the Monferrato. Several underground tunnels branched off into the castle’s belly, which were several times decisive to allow soldiers to leave the fortified town. Next to the Castle you can still admire the decentralized headquarters of the “Capitano del Popolo”.
Another great attraction is the ancient, and now abandoned, tuff quarries in the locality “Uviglie”. Suddenly these white limestone cliffs rise among the vineyards, once precious quarries from which the “cantùn” were obtained, that is the tuff with which the houses, churches and palaces of Monferrato were built.
How to visit it
The guided tour of the village of Rosignano is included in the itinerary “The Wine of Nobles, Grignolino, regain its place“.